Tuesday, May 31, 2011

10K



Suicide Trail Run
There is Suicide Trail Run.....................

Last Saturday I ran in my first 10K!  What an awesome experience it was!! Kelsey and I drove up to Little River at 7:30 am so that I could get there at a decent time to warm up.  Little River is a small community just 15 miles west of McPherson.....such an awesome town.  Little River was in full force at 7:45 when we got there!  I saw alot more runners then I thought I would.  I got a good warm up in by jogging a few blocks and stretching real good.

Right before the race started, I noticed that there were about 30 people in the 10K race. People of all ages were in our group.  When the gun sounded, everyone started sprinting!  HaHa.....I thought to myself, "No way I'm going to keep up this pace for 6.2 miles!"  I got behind a group of people that were running about an 8:15 mile pace, so I got behind the group and kept the pace.
Beginning of Race

The first 2 miles were ran on pavement and dirt roads, something I was really used to.  My legs felt pretty heavy these miles.  My legs have felt really heavy the past few weeks, so I knew I needed to push myself.  My second mile was ran about the same pace....8:30 pace.

Then, the hills started.  At the second mile, the pack turned onto a cow pasture and started the uphill climb.  Most of the 3rd mile was going up and down hills in pastures.  The scenery was awesome and weather was just great.  The pace really slowed down though........10 min pace.  My legs were not used to the hills and rough terrain.

After the 3rd mile, my legs finally felt good.  I took the pace back down to a 9 min pace.  Although there were tougher hills and even 2 creek crossings, my legs felt really good to push myself up the hills.  I knew the "Suicide Hill" was coming up, so I wanted to keep this pace until that mark.

The 5th mile is when "the hill" showed its ugly self.  Really steep and really rocky, the hill was really tough to go up.  I got 3/4 the way up, and brisked walk the rest of the way up.  After I finally beat the hill, it was pretty much smooth sailing to the finish line.
Finish Line
My final time was 54 minutes and 1 second. I beat my goal of less than an hour.  I'm really looking forward to running in some more trail runs in the near future!  Thanks to Little River for putting on a great event!!
Getting some Gatorade and a banana after the race



MMMMM.......banana.......

The miles keep coming.......

Quick thank you to Lynette for sponsoring miles! I appreciate it so much!

I hope to blog more often now that summer has started.  So keep watching!!

Remember to Teach.  Remember to Pray.  Remember to Support.




2 comments:

  1. great job Matt! We are all very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you are going to be winning these things shortly. I don't understand warming up for a few blocks. I would be done after that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete