Saturday, August 6, 2011

Razorbacks, Rainbows, Reminiscing.........and Running.......

On July 31, 2011, my mom lost her battle with pancreatic cancer.......


The past few weeks have been a whirlwind.  We were able to get mom back home from the KU Med Center a few days before she passed.  She would of wanted this.  My dad, my sister, and I were by her side the whole time. Fortunately, mom also got to see her two sisters and mom a few days before she passed.

Although many tears were shed the next few days, a sense of peace came over me.  Finally, my mom was free of pain.  Finally, my mom was not battling any more.  Finally, my mom was free.  There is no doubt in my mind that Pappa, Grandpa, and Mark G. were their to meet her when she arrived at the gates of heaven.

I have been overwhelmed with the amount of support our family has had not only the past few weeks, but the last 3 years.  The community of Ness City has been nothing short of amazing for my family.  Also, the McPherson College community and the admissions team have been a incredible.

On Tuesday, we had mom's vigil.  As soon as we stepped out of the church, my cousin took a picture of the sky..........

I'm sure that rainbow is mom letting us know she was there!!  :)

Funny thing is, this wasn't the last sign we saw from mom.

Checking the weather the night before mom's funeral, Ness City was supposed to have a high of 115!!  We had planned the funeral at 9am for this very reason.  When we awoke that morning, it was cool as a rain had fallen that night.  Actually, it was kind of chilly!  The temperature in Ness City that day didn't get above 87 degrees.  That's mom......having it her way.......

The past few weeks have also seen a change in my running.  Actually, I haven't run at all.

So, the running continues tomorrow.  It will probably take me a few weeks to get back in the swing of things, but I know mom will be there with me the whole way.

I truly appreciate everyone's support through this trying time.

Remember to Teach, because mom was the greatest teacher.
Remember to Pray, because there are many people still fighting pancreatic cancer.
Remember to Support, because everyone can take part in this fight.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment